Grace Weekly News
December 3, 2017
Title: From Shattered Dreams God Creates Greatness
By: Orbie Estep Jr
Date: December 3, 2017
FROM THE PASTOR’S DESK…
I trust that we are all familiar with 1 Corinthians 13, what is commonly called The love chapter. Someone has written a version specifically designed for Christmas: If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows, strands of twinkling lights and shining balls, but do not show love to my family, I’m just another decorator. If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies, preparing gourmet meals and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime, but do not show love to my family, I’m just another cook. If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home and give all that I have to charity, but do not show love to my family, it profits me nothing. If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crystal snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir’s cantata but do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point. Love stops the cooking to hug the child. Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband. Love is kind, though harried and tired. Love doesn’t envy another’s home that has coordinated Christmas china and table lines. Love doesn’t yell at the kids to get out of the way but is thankful they are there to be in the way. Love doesn’t give only to those who are able to give in return but rejoices in giving to those who can’t. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, Love never fails. Video games will break, pearl necklaces will be lost, golf clubs will rust. But giving the gift of love will endure. Isn’t that what Christmas is really about? God gave us His gift of Love. Didn’t he give us the gift of Life? How precious the baby Jesus was. Precious, not because he was a tiny baby, but because He was the Gift of God’s Love. And maybe the best gift you can really give at Christmas is the gift of love. I think sometimes we get caught up in the commercialism of Christmas, and the big gift-giving frenzy. And sure, behind those gifts are expressions of love. But, the most important ingredient to a wonderful Christmas is that it contains Christmas love.
Bob Jenkins, Roger Smith, Savanah Johnson, Glen Massie, The Dozier Family, Dave and Betty Wagner, Anna Zerkle, The Whitehead family, Thelma Farmer, Ellen Schultz, Austin Smith, The Marshall Family
- We enjoyed our monthly Fellowship Breakfast this morning, what a feast! Don’t forget to join us each first Sunday of the month at 9:00 am.
- Come join us on Sunday, December 17th for our Annual Christmas Program. The Choir will perform during the morning service beginning at 11:00 am. Please join us for the evening service, Brother Chris Baldwin will be singing songs from his new Christmas cd. Bring your favorite finger foods and join us for food and fellowship afterward. If you would like to bring in a gift for your child, Santa will be here to pass that out… (Please only bring one gift per child under $20 please)
- Brother Skylar McNutt will be preaching this evening, come support this young man in his obedience to what God is doing in his life.
- Wednesday is our monthly meal before Bible study. It starts at 5:00 pm. will all proceeds going to the building fund. Soup beans with the fixings! Bible Study to follow at 6:30 pm.
- There are still a few name tags on the Giving Tree. If you feel lead to give back this Christmas season, take one and bring the gifts next Sunday. #WeAreHisHandsAndFeet.
- If you are interested in volunteering at the Rue Farms retail store, please see brother Glen Massie to get signed up. Each volunteer will work and earn money for the building fund. #WhyGrace.
- Our Guatemala 2018 Missions team is having a shoe and Bible sponsorship. We are collecting $5.00 for either a pair of shoes for a child or a Bible for the adults. Check out the flier on the back bulletin board or see Sister Deb for more questions.
- Our church van runs every Sunday morning if you know of someone who needs a ride please see Sis. Penny Brown.
- Young Adult ministry: Skyler and Aloni McNutt have a Young Adult ministry at the 616 Building, Thursday evenings at 7 pm. Please lift them and this ministry up in your prayers. For more details see Skylar or Aloni.
- Teen’s Group Tuesday evening, 7:00 pm.
- Men’s Bible study Tuesdays at 7:00 pm.